When I first set up my personal website network, I got a bit carried away. Once I had the first two sites in a multisite network, I started splitting out every category of my blog into its own site – each with its own domain.
At the peak, I had:
- One site for my personal profile – linking to all the other sites
- One site for a professional portfolio
- One site for my business blog
- One site for my Christianity blog
- One site for my creative writing portfolio
- One site for political discussions
- One site for a personal journal
Then I read a great article by Ipstenu about why you shouldn’t use WordPress Multisite and decided I should rein things in a bit. Categories of content should be categories instead of full sites.
This started a huge migration of content. I set up a clean WordPress installation and started moving all of my posts, pages, categories, tags, etc from the schismed sites into the new one. Everything was clean and ready to go … except for one thing. External links. [Read more…]